The best way to keep his skin healthy and exfoliated is by shaving but poor shaving technique can result in irritation.
Fear not! Red-faced fellows can use these extra precautions when shaving that tender mug:
- The best time to shave is immediately following a shower. As I have said in the past, avoid using very hot water as it irritates the skin and can cause redness and inflammation.
- Work a little bit of a gentle cleanser into your face. I’ve never liked shaving cream, (although it is fun to play with!), it is alkaline and leaves skin dull dry, sensitive and susceptible to ingrown hairs and irritation.
- For sensitive skin, look for fragrance-free products that do not contain alcohol. My favorite foamy gel cleanser is – Jan Marini’s C-Esta Cleansing Gel. This sudsy cleanser produces a luxurious foaming lather that is also excellent for shaving. Great for any skin type, and you will see a more refined skin texture. Careful though, ladies, you might want to keep it for yourselves!
- For the smoothest shave ever, I recommend using an electric razor first, then go over the face with your cartridge razor. Skip disposable razors. Using good blades are an investment but you will see a difference in less ingrown hairs and razor burn. A good multi-blade razor will glide more smoothly over your skin with less nicks and irritation!
- Using shorts strokes, shave with the direction of the hair growth. And be sure to rinse the razor often!
- Old razors have dull blades which make it more difficult to get a close shave, and may cause razor burn. Even worse, old blades harbor bacteria. Knowing when to switch out your razor depends on how often you use it and how well you clean it. Swab the blade with some rubbing alcohol and dry it after each use. Don’t leave it in the shower- germs, germs, germs! A good rule of thumb is when it starts to feel like it’s tugging at your skin rather than gliding across it, it’s time to retire that blade.
- If you get nicks use a good razor solution, or after shave such as Tend Skin Lotion or the PCA SKIN Nutrient Toner to tame the redness and irritation.
- Finish up with your favorite spf and now Dad is ready to celebrate in style.
Oh, and Happy Father’s Day.
Cheers to great skin!